OK so it all started when I was searching for a good, I mean GOOD, vegan egg nog recipe.
Trust me. Being anti-dairy, anti-meat, all that, doesn't mean I don't yearn for the good ole days, like when I was a kid.
I am always on the lookout for good replacement recipes and I've found, more often than not, those clever vegans seem to come through.
That's when I stumbled onto this blog - http://www.produceonparade.com/
The woman's name is Katie and she is an animal saving, mammogram taking, vegan who lives in Alaska. *Author's note: this is SO begging to be a character in a book.
Anywho, not only does this person seem genuine, I found that she used a unique way to introduce herself by listing 23 things that most people wouldn't know about her.
OK, ok, yes, Facebook LOVES to make a game of 23 Titles You've Read, and 58 Selfie Locations and so on....
Many people know me and my family. Let's face it, Rhode Island isn't just a small state with the most awesome restaurants. It's just flat out small.
Still, I wondered what it would be like to introduce myself this way.
I DO NOT like the spotlight. But my goal for this blog is always to show that we are, in many ways, all the same.
23 things you may not have known about me....
1. I hate to fly. Check that...I used to hate to fly. On a particular air trip across the country, I was virtually paralyzed - then the light came on. I'll never see parts of the world if I don't get over this affliction. Now, I sit near the window seat (not comfortably) but I can look out for a few minutes at a time.
2. I am cryptic. Correct. As black and white as I am on this blog, I still talk in metaphor and riddles. Why? Because it stimulates conversation. Just a habit, I guess.
3. I was lead singer in a rock band. Sure it wasn't at Gillette Stadium but for a year? It was fun to pretend to be a 'rock star'...
4. I always firmly believe, beyond a doubt, that I am faster, stronger and smarter than I look.
5. I am an author - yes, I still get surprised looks about that.
6. I am a three time cancer survivor - This is a fact. And I'm not going for a fourth time.
7. I never had a prom date.
8. I was raised a Catholic but I have replaced that religion with music to fulfill my spiritual needs.
9. I have loner tendencies but I love people.
10. After my dog Yukon died, I don't have it in me to have a pet in my life (I confess to owning two goldfish called Cuff and Link)
11. I love football today, because I wasn't allowed to play as a child.
12. I was a true introvert in my teens. Every sense of the word. People scared me. Although I shed my introverted self in my late 20's, I still hold those traits. They come out at THE wrong time. I am still not thrilled about throngs of people I don't know.
13. I abhor cruelty of any kind - ANY kind
14. Two topics I can't tolerate hatred in, is religion and politcs
15. I do believe my spirit guide is a wolf....macho crap aside.
16. I made THE wrong education decision and the wrong college choice.
17. It took me almost all of my life to discover who I am and, more importantly, allow myself to be that person.
18. The nickname Mad Maz was made up by me after the character Mad Max
19. To further that point, I am told I can be intimidating but I do that to see who will look past it. If they do, they are worth it.
20. I grew up loving Spiderman but graduated to Wolverine in my teens.
21. I don't like horror movies.
22. Someday I want to visit Tokyo.
23. My biggest motivation comes from someone telling me that I can't do something...
That's all for now....no big life secrets or home of the Yeti...Until next time...